Thursday, April 26, 2012

Taiwan Cafe Review

I was born in Taiwan, so I am critical of any Taiwanese cuisine. This is definitely a casual dining place, no ambiance whatsoever, but that is fairly typical of Chinese restaurants. The tables were all closely placed, which is obviously to maximize the amount of people they can squeeze in, which again is quite authentic!

Then my sisters and I got extremely excited over the menu - there were so many familiar Taiwan eats/snacks on the menu! Hadn't even seen some of them in any restaurants outside Taiwan. So we ordered many dishes to try out. The Beef Noodle soup is the standout - plenty of well cooked beef, the noodle was amazing, and the soup was sufficiently spicy. The xiao long bao was okay, but I am comparing that to Din Tai Fung. But you get value for money, as they were bigger than traditional ones. The fried dumplings were also good, but again, made too big, too much meat to be authentic - may be to cater to local market? I had the pork rice, and it was okay, not bad, but not much to write home about. There were a few true Taiwanese dishes that I can't describe, but were all not too bad. Avoid the cold jellyfish - was not crunchy enough. This was the only one we regretted ordering, even though my husband loves jellyfish.

34 Oxford St. (Beach St.), Boston, MA 02111-2002
(617) 426-8181

No comments:

Post a Comment